Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Today is Raksha Bandhan !



It is Raksha Bandhan today, but for me it is a day of tragedy, a day of great loss. Loss that accrues year after year, as it comes. Each year I turn poorer by miles on this day. I have two sisters and a dozen odd cousins. Whoever made this ritual of gifting your sisters in exchange of this piece of thread. 'Piece of thread' did I say? I will be hounded for being blasphemous by all the 'sisters' in this world. But I thought brothers were supposed to protect their sisters in return of the rakhis. That's precisely what Raksha Bandhan means. So the deals done, right? We will protect you. Then, where did the question of gifts and money come from. And these TV commercials fan my indignation to fury. They just need an excuse to sell anything. And this time, they are selling sentiments. "This rakhi, gift your sister an iPOD", blares the commercial. Can you believe it?. When was the last time an ad spoke about gifting brothers? The moment the ad appears on TV and if I have the remote, I switch the channel surreptitiously. And if the remote is in my sister's hand, and the ad appears, I will move away from the room, and she will deliberately raise the volume, to make sure it reaches my ears. "Kuch sikho", taunts my sister.

Years ago, when I was in school, I used to flaunt these rakhis from my sisters with pride. Little did I know of what was coming in years to come. I was too naive. Each year, they send me rakhis well in advance to make sure I have them on the rakhi day. And they want the same promptness with their gifts from my side.

Today. when you do well in your career, your sisters are the first one's to wish. No, they arent happy about your success, it the probability of latching on to an expensive gift on the coming rakhi is what cheers them. Since I have started working, they have been milking me slowly but surely. The fact that the rakhi is on the end of the month makes it worse.

Today, there was no motivation to get up from bed. And even though there was a lot of activity around me, I stubbornly lay inside my blanket. On the other hand, my sister is up far too early than usual. Getting ready with all the arrangements for the ritual. My aunt too is up and helping her with things. Atmosphere is festive. Everyone is cheerful. Then there is this kiddo, my little cousin who is in class 1. Surprisingly this gentleman who doesn't understand the significance of rakhi is also up and donning his new clothes, is sitting with folded legs staring at the sweets arranged on the table.

I see him with jealousy wondering why did I grow up.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:31:00 AM  

i bless you with 10 dozen more cousin/sisters! Tathastu!ha-ha-ha!

Munch on Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:49:00 PM  

Hey u seem to quite ENTHU when it comes to Rakhi.....oops. missed on it this year...next time surely will make up for it....Bhaiyya ;-)

prerna Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:30:00 PM  

So you are the lucky one:).God bless you. Appreciate God's kindness, so many good wishes. One fine morning when you get up you will recieve loads of money 'Chappar Phad ke' and you will be shouting (typical filmy style)thank you sisters for all your blessings.:) :)

Unknown Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:44:00 AM  

hey hey hey...hold on..dd u forget all the emotions sisters hav attached with this day??? u urself gave the reason y brothers dnt get gifts...cos they c the money nt the love..i really dnt like ur line "sisters r nt happy for ur success bt for the gifts they'll b gettin on rakhi"..a mere rs 21 is enough for rakhi...get sum emotions boy...

Ravi Kumar Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:59:00 AM  

Thanks for your precious time in leaving your comments here. Its time I put my stance clear. I value my sisters more than my life... This was an article written in jest. Just to provide a good read. I dont subscribe to the views above and were twisted and exaggerated to make it look funny, which I am sure did not go down well with many of you.
Thanks,
Ravi

John Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:36:00 PM  

Raksha Bandhan is traditional indian festival. Now a days it is celebrated in all over the world due to internet technology. Suppose either Brother lives abroad or sister. they send rakhi online to their brother who lives any corner of the world, and same brother send return rakhi gifts to indiato his sister and loved one from any corner of the world.

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP