Saturday, February 09, 2008

Purpose of life: My musings

This was an entry two years ago in my personal diary. I was such an impressionable soul then. Now slowly I am becoming the part of the crowd.

--------------------------
21st October, 2005

Its my birthday today. But since a couple of years, a sense of discomfort grips me each time my birthday approaches. Time and again I get these pangs of disconcert whenever I realise I am growing old. Yes, 'growing old'. When was the last time you heard, 'you are growing up'. Life is passing by as fast like sand slipping out of my fist. I am left with a depressing thought that my life is turning out to be inconsequential. is it all about earning money, maintaining a lifestyle, leading a 'decent' life for myself and my family. Is there a valid justification of my existence on this earth. Isnt there a greater purpose. I know there should be a greater purpose. A purpose that will give meaning to my existence. What is it? And when am I going to know about it? I need to get the answers fast. really fast. I am a mortal. I have only so many years to live. With years, I will lose steam, vigour, energy.

One of my biggest lessons in life has been realisation of the futility of materialistic possesssions. I have heard thi sumpteenth times through books, discourses and wise men. But no matter how much ever you read, only self realisation can help you get over the temptation.

I feel myself lucky to have come in association (either in person or books) with some real life people who are leading contended lives. I am talking about people who have contrarian beliefs. Who dont follow the masses and are swimming against the tide. I would want to mention about a few of them as they float in my mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous,  Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:04:00 AM  

Hey ravi, we all know nothing is everlasting in our life. We still run behind things being materialistic and joining the rat-race bandwagon. May be this is helping us to keep our morale high from drooping and giving us the motivation to go on living. Hey, look at this beautiful quote by Kenshin Himura – “ You can die at anytime, but it takes true courage to live.” I read somewhere ..The supreme advantage of long-life is..The more we live, the more we experience, the more we learn. Let us use the knowledge properly. Bernard Shaw rightly said “ Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”

Ravi Kumar Monday, February 11, 2008 3:51:00 AM  

Thanks. Your comments are not just comments. They are nuggets of wisdom. I look forward to all your comments. Thanks again :)

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP